Killarney National Park
The park has a high ecological value for its quality, diversity and the extension of many of its habitats and the great variety of species it contains, some of which are rare. The park was designated a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1981.
It was the first National Park in Ireland, created when the Muckross house was donated to the Irish state in 1932. It encompasses more than 102.89 km2 of diverse ecology, including the lakes of Killarney, oak and yew forests of international importance and mountain peaks. It has herds of red deer, the only ones that can be found in Ireland and the largest native forest in Ireland.