In August 2018 I decided to visit Riga, one of the capitals of the Baltic countries. The city began to develop as a Viking trading center during the Middle Ages, it is the most important city in Latvia.
It is a city where most visits are concentrated and can be visited on foot, it has a tram network, although it is not necessary to visit the historic center.
The best time to visit Riga is in the summer because in winter it is quite cold and there is usually snowfall and the great atmosphere in its streets is lost.
These are the main places to visit in Riga:
Town Hall Square
This square is the most beautiful and important in the city, it was the administrative center until 1877 and there are buildings of great importance such as the Town Hall and the House of the Blackheads that was the former headquarters of the brotherhood of the wealthy merchants.
In addition in the square there is an art gallery, a museum with more than 1300 objects related to the sun and the bell tower of the Town Hall.
Freedom Monument was built in honor of the soldiers who died during the War of the Independence of Latvia.
It is considered an important symbol of freedom, independence and sovereignty of the country.
It was inaugurated in 1935 and reaches 42 meters in height, on top stands a figure of a woman holding three golden stars, symbolizing the union of the three historical regions of Latvia.
Thisstreet located in the center of the city is known for its Art Nouveau buildings.
It was built in 1901 and named after Bishop Albert who founded Riga in 1201.
It is the most beautiful street in the city thanks to the number of well-preserved buildings with impressive facades.
Three Brothers is the oldest residential complex in Riga and consists of three houses located on Mazā Pils street, numbers 17, 19 and 21.
The oldest house is located at number 17, dates from the fifteenth century and is Gothic and Renaissance.
The house of the number 19 is of the XVII century and Mannerist style and the one of the 21 of end of the XVII century and Baroque style.
St. Peter's Church
St. Peter's Church is one of the most important in the city of Riga.
Its origins date from the thirteenth century, although due to different renovations almost nothing remains of the original.
During the Second World War, the Church was totally destroyed and after many years of works it was reopened in 1991.
The price of the entrance to access is € 9.
Livu Square is the busiest place in the Old City of Riga.
It is an area full of restaurants and shops in which the atmosphere is magnificent both day and night.
The square was formed after removing the damaged buildings during the bombings of the First World War.
Riga Cathedral is the Evangelical Lutheran Cathedral of the city and the seat of the Archbishop of Riga.
It is considered the largest medieval church in the Baltic countries and is located in the historic center of the city.
One of its most important elements is the organ that is located in the interior, dates from the late nineteenth century and was once the largest in the world.
Powder Tower is one of the 18 towers that had the wall that surrounded the city.
Built in the fourteenth century and rebuilt on different occasions, its current appearance dates from the mid-seventeenth century.
With a cylindrical shape and more than 25 meters high, it houses the headquarters of the War Museum of Latvia next to the annex building.
Latvian Academy of Sciences
This imposing building was built after the Second World War, between 1953 and 1956.
The style is characteristic of the great Soviet buildings of the time and the facade is decorated with sickles, hammers and ornaments and Latvian folk motifs.
When the construction was finished, it became the first skyscraper in the country with 180 meters of height.
Riga City Council
The first town hall of the city was built just behind the current one in 1226.
At the end of the 19th century, the building became a bank, a factory and a jury.
During the Second World War it was destroyed by a bombing in 1941.
In 1954 the Technical University was built on the ruins and at the beginning of the nineties the reconstruction works began and it was again the Town Hall.
Riga's Nativity of Christ Cathedral
The Cathedral of the Nativity is the Orthodox Cathedral of Riga.
It was built in the late nineteenth century, during the period in which Latvia became part of the Russian Empire and was one of the most prominent buildings of the time.
During the First World War, the Germans converted it into a Lutheran church, although it later returned to its origins as an Orthodox cathedral.
During the Soviet era it was transformed into a planetarium and finally in 1991 with the independence of Latvia, it regained its religious function.
Tours around Riga
Tour of the exterior of the old city of Riga:
-Cathedral of the Nativity
-Academy of Sciences
Tour of the center of Riga: St. Peter's Church, Town Hall Square, Riga Cathedral, Three Brothers, Riga Castle, Swedish Gate, Powder Tower and Livu Square.